Our Mission and Strategic Direction
You are here
Download one of the PDF documents below to read about NAEYC's Strategic Direction:
Each and every child thrives and learns in a society dedicated to ensuring all children reach their full potential.
NAEYC promotes high-quality early learning for each and every child, birth through age 8, by connecting practice, policy, and research. We advance a diverse, dynamic early childhood profession and support all who care for, educate, and work on behalf of young children.
NAEYC’s core values reflect our belief that all children have the right to equitable learning opportunities, and that all early childhood educators have a professional obligation to advance equity. Our values uphold NAEYC’s approach as an employer, professional membership association, partner, and field leader. They are based on the principles of child development and learning and are further defined through NAEYC’s core position statements: Code of Ethical Conduct; Professional Standards and Competencies for Early Childhood Educators; Advancing Equity in Early Childhood Education; Developmentally Appropriate Practice; and Early Learning Program Accreditation Standards. We are propelled by our commitment to upend our own structural and organizational inequities, and to ensure our actions are grounded in our values. Our core values are:
We uphold these values and beliefs in all our interactions and initiatives:
- Excellence and Innovation—We take risks, imagine new ways of working, and challenge existing assumptions, while remaining fiscally responsible and accountable to our mission and members.
- Transparency—We act with openness and clarity.
- Reflection—We consider multiple sources of evidence and diverse perspectives to review past performance, note progress and successes, and engage in continuous quality improvement.
- Equity and Opportunity—We advocate for and establish policies, practices, and systems that promote full and inclusive participation. We confront biases that create barriers and limit the potential of children, families, and early childhood professionals.
- Collaborative Relationships—We share leadership and responsibility in our work with others. We commit time and effort to ensure diverse participation and more effective outcomes. We act with integrity, respect, and trust.
- Care and Commitment—We are dedicated to the well-being, belonging and connectedness of our staff, volunteers and members.